Continuing my attempt to zoom in, over several posts, on what is and should be important in 2018, I will now wrestle a bit with Meaning and Purpose.
I have had a look at the previous conclusions from about 6 months back and the ones below seem the most resonant for the coming year:
- I believe that it is not really possible anymore, as I believed when I was younger, to really change the world in my lifetime only contribute to some level of flow of positive change. Not very good way of putting it, but change is so slow and incremental if you want to contribute to something global and not just your immediate family or friends’ lives, or your own personal development. You can work all life as a politician or voluntary worker and only see very local, very limited effects. Even the president of the United States don’t have much power, since the powers that be are locked in Congress and in the idiotic voting system, and – ultimately – in people’s belief systems and emotional readiness for change and for reaching out and not hiding and being reactionary. All very high-brow, but if there is one way to truly make a difference – over time – today it is on the Internet where 17 year old fashion bloggers attract 17 million followers easily. So you can get attention, you can share something widely, and – over time – you can make a difference in people’s lives. I may only be able to reach a few thousand people over the years, in a way that really matters, and many more in more superfluous ways, but I do believe this is the best way – to blog. And blog to share. Experiences.…
- But that Big Project – like writing a famous book or going to save the children in Africa somehow – is not for me. I feel other people can do these things better than I, especially because I have so little capital – financial, political, cultural when it comes to Africa. When it comes to famous books, I just don’t feel like that any longer. As I’ve already written about I know this motivation has been in me, for some reason, and it is deeply wrong. And the list goes on. These are just two of the Big Things, I’ve chased and tried to do with my life and then not really done. But maybe I don’t need to. Maybe I just need to share all that I have learned.
- I feel I am not doing enough to promote The Blog … I also miss doing something real for charity again, and preferably with Char. Or at least have some definite goal or vision for that part of our lives, instead of just focusing – as is difficult not to – on the daily problems and challenges, esp. with an infant son and irregular income.
- It is logical to dream. More than that. It is necessary. In some ways as necessary as eating or breathing. I know these are big words, but just think: What is your life worth if you constantly restrain yourself from dreaming ‘too much’ – imagining the good stuff you want to experience, to have, to think, to realize? What’s it worth? Your life becomes mediocre – no, worse: A shell. Don’t go that way. Turn right now – and start dreaming more.
- But in my experience we, the people, forget so often to ask them ourselves: What makes me really happy? What I do now? The way I do what I do now to get something better in the future? Or … ? We forget. And run in all sorts of directions for peace, happiness and joy, even if we are so often missing them. Chasing wild geese … like that stressful drive up the career ladder or whatever it is that makes no sense to strive for to become happy in the future, if it is done in such a way or if it is for such a goal so as to make us miserable for a long time in the present.
The advice in this post is a composite of post excerpts from the category of Meaning and Purpose … from the last half of 2017, on The Blog.
Here you can also find direct links to the posts themselves and read them as part of a narrative about the ups and downs of trying to find meaning in, like, life and everything. …